A. Course Description:
Kindergarten helps students transition into the school setting. Kindergarten focuses on the "3 R's": we begin to develop a student's language arts skills, so that a student can read and spell short vowel words by the end of the school year. Students develop math conceptual and counting skills. Students also learn how to write in cursive.
B. Objectives and Methods:
We use the Spalding method ("Spell to Write and Read") to teach the basic phonograms to students, and to combine sight/sound/kinesthetic senses to master the phonograms. Students develop listening and analytical skills through dictation. We also use songs and chants to help students master Bible and history facts and math/counting facts/methods. Students use "air writing" (wands and sidewalk chalk) to develop motor skills and to learn beautiful handwriting skills.
C. Course Goals:
- a student will be able to: read simple sentences and read sentences consisting of one-syllable words;
- a student will be able to write all letters of the alphabet in cursive;
- a student will understand concepts of addition and subtraction and will be introduced to place value and basic counting skills (to 100);
- a student will see God's hand in Biblical history and in American history;
- a student will begin instruction in rhetoric with plays, skits, songs and chants;
- a student will see God's handiwork in creation and develop an appreciation for science
c. Copyright Providence Christian Academy